Thursday, September 15, 2011

Green Card Interview

Our green card interview finally happened!!!

We received the letter with our schedule for the interview in august (around the 12th), right after we also received a letter from our lawyer reminding us of the appointment.
Let's talk about the BIG day... We got there (our green card interview was in Newark NJ) on September 13th 2011 at 11am sharp and our lawyer was already there. We talked a little bit about our past weekend and the night before in case we had any questions on that. The officer called our name around 12:30pm (be ready for a long wait) and our lawyer followed us to a tiny cubicle. After we were inside the immigration office had us swear we would speak nothing but the truth and right after we sat down to start the interview.
The officer looked at my husband and asked him what name I was using at this moment and heard his answer. His following questions to him were: let me see your paperwork? What's your wife's complete address? Have your wife been married before? Does she have any children from previous relationship? Where are your pictures? (Which by the way he kept one for the files) and last but not least: How and when did you two meet?
The following round of questions were for myself, he asked: What about your husband, has he ever been married? Does he have children from any previous relationship? And he also asked me all the security questions such as: Are you a terrorist? Have you ever received any military training? Have you ever been arrested?...
After that he looked at my husband, close the paperwork files and said: "Here your immigration interview ends. You can go to the waiting room, I'll make my decision and I will call you to the window."
5 minutes after we were waiting, he called us to the window and said: 'I'll keep your work permit and you should receive your green card in the mail in about 2 weeks."
Personally, we still can't believe that that was it!!! It was so much easier and faster than we thought. Although, we believe it was that easy and fast because our lawyer has an intact reputation and almost 100% approval rate (http://www.perezlawyers.com/). We are very happy we hired him and we will definitely keep in touch for the renewal of the card in 2 years.

PS: I'll be back to let you know how fast did we received the green card in the mail! As usual, keep your fingers crossed!!! :)

PS2: I got a WELCOME letter from USCIS on 09/16/2011 and another one on 09/19/2011. My husband got an APPROVAL NOTICE letter on 09/20/2011 and my GREEN CARD arrived on 09/20/2011 (7 days after the interview!!!!! I don't know if that's some kind of record or if we were just a little LUCKY but all I know is that we are free from immigration paperwork for the next 2 years)

***I WISH ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD TO ALL THE COUPLES WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THIS PROCESS AS WELL***

No comments:

Post a Comment